We are grateful to able to make a living doing something that we love in a place we love. As a business and as humans, we’re committed to improving our global community and decreasing our impact on the environment, through utilizing best practices and supporting charities that are working on positive changes.
Hutcherson Goldsmithing utilizes sources that are dedicated to ethical practices. We know most of our sources. We have met most of our diamond and gemstone dealers in person. We can ask them questions about their values and how they are contributing to make conditions better for all of the people in this industry, as well as the environment.
Diamonds really do last through generations. A lot of the custom jewelry we create for our clients feature family heirloom diamonds to be remounted in a new, unique piece of jewelry. In addition, many of the larger diamonds we use in our own jewelry line are recycled (the smaller diamonds are precision cut Canadian origin). They have come out of previously worn jewelry and been recut or repolished before we create a one-of-a-kind design around them. If you are looking to purchase a diamond from us for a custom piece, and would like to use a recycled diamond, just ask! We would love to find one for you.
We can also provide ethically sourced new diamonds for your custom jewelry. We have a few different approaches for new diamonds:
- All of our diamonds are Kimberley Process Certified, which ensures they were not used in funding wars.
- We offer diamonds that can be traced back to their country of origin. Currently, we can offer Canadian diamonds as 100% traceable from mine to cutting to jewelry.
- We also offer lab-grown diamonds as an option. These have the same physical characteristics, and only select gemological laboratories can tell the difference between natural and lab-grown diamonds.
- Using imperfect diamonds utilizes the diamonds that have already been mined, and were cast aside in the past. Luckily, they have been gaining in popularity. Diamonds that were once considered not gem quality, are now being polished and loved for their unique character.
- Giving back: We support Diamond Development Initiative through donation. They are working to systemically improve sustainability for the communities of artisanal miners.
Recycled Precious Metals
We purchase recycled metals for casting and fabrication of new jewelry. We can also melt down your own gold to create a new piece, increasing the life of your existing materials.
- Giving back: We donate to the Mercury-Free Mining Challenge, which is working on a solution to eliminate mercury from artisanal gold mining.
We have a select number of gemstone suppliers who are directly connected with the small mines and cutting facilities. They can usually tell us the mine that each gem came from, and they either are cutting the gemstones themselves, or they are working directly with their team to ensure that the working environment is safe and fair.
We buy from local, small businesses as much as possible.
- Giving back: We donate jewelry for fundraiser auctions, including for schools and for organizations such as Because People Matter. They are an amazing local organization that provides humanitarian services to those in need.